Science Fiction Writers (audio CD)
Science fiction authors answer all your burning questions about this much loved literary genre. What is science fiction? Are science fiction writers under-appreciated compared to literary novelists? Is their prime mission to predict the future or to comment on the present? In the British Library's new spoken word CD, 'Science Fiction Writers', these and other questions are discussed by major authors including Isaac Asimov, Douglas Adams, Brian Aldiss, J G Ballard, Doris Lessing and Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
Published to coincide with a major British Library exhibition this CD collects recordings of ten celebrated science fiction authors who have worked in the field. Although science fiction is hugely popular, it has often been a source of controversy.
Listen to extracts of tracks using Windows Media Player:
Reviews `The latest in the excellent Spoken Word series, produced by the British Library in partnership with the BBC. It has contributions by Isaac Asimov, Doris Lessing, Michael Moorcock and others, mostly taken from radio broadcasts. Brian Aldiss discourses knowledgably on the history of the genre.` Times Literary Supplement Track listing
1. Isaac Asimov. From ‘Outlook’. Date of broadcast: 02.01.1990
2. Doris Lessing and Brian Aldiss.From ‘2001: science fiction in Orbit?’. Date of recording: 22.02.2001
3. Kurt Vonnegut Jr. From ‘Third Ear’. Date of broadcast: 13.11.1990
4. Douglas Adams. From ‘Desert Island Discs’. Date of broadcast: 06.02.1994
5. Michael Moorcock. From ‘Kaleidoscope’. Date of broadcast: 01.02.1994
6. J G Ballard. From ‘Kaleidoscope’. Date of broadcast: 28.08.1987
7. Ursula Le Guin. From ‘Woman’s Hour’. Date of broadcast: 26.09.1990
8. Arthur C Clarke. From ‘Desert Island Discs’. Date of broadcast: 23.07.1997
9. Ray Bradbury. From ‘The Radio 2 Arts Programme’. Date of broadcast: 01.09.1990